The CNT at the University of Washington sponsors a 10-week Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) on the Seattle campus. This program provides undergraduate students with opportunities to work on research projects with scientists and to take part in workshop training sessions in ethics, communications, and scientific presentation skills designed to provide the undergraduate scientist with a solid foundation for graduate study. Undergraduates will help with research in one of the labs at the UW.
Applications for the 2022 CNT REU program are now being accepted; the application deadline for the receipt of completed applications is January 15, 2022. The summer 2022 CNT REU program will start on June 14, 2022 (Tuesday) and end on August 19, 2022 (Friday).
REU Program Requirements
- Be a student at a college or university in the United States; students who have graduated from college before the start of the REU program are not eligible.
- Be 18 years old by the first day of the REU program.
- Be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S. (or its territories).
- Devote 40 hours per week to the program.
- Not enroll in classes or hold other jobs during the day. Participants will be paid a stipend and will not receive academic credit for the research experience.
- Attend required weekly communications classes, lectures, seminars, focus groups, and workshops
The University of Washington also requires that UW personnel and students be vaccinated against COVID-19.
What participants will receive:
- Involvement in an interdisciplinary research project with a team where researchers are working together to solve a common science problem.
- Access to lectures on ethics, communications, laboratory safety, and other select topics.
- The opportunity to participate in an end-of-summer research symposium, at which undergraduate researchers give oral presentations and poster presentations describing their work and results to the CNT community.
- A stipend of $5,500.
- Reimbursement of travel expenses to a maximum of $750.
- Housing on the University of Washington (Seattle) campus (at no cost to the REU student).
REU Frequently Asked Questions (Updated: September 30, 2021)
If you have additional questions about the REU program, please contact Dr. Eric Chudler, CNT Education Director.