The Center for Neurotechnology (CNT) at the University of Washington sponsors a five day “YSP-REACH” program on the Seattle Campus during the summer. High school students receive an introduction to neuroscience and neural engineering, neuroethics, scientific communication, and the latest developments in brain-computer interfaces. Participants have the opportunity to tour CNT partner labs in departments including Computer Science and Electrical Engineering. The goal is to provide students with exposure to the field of neural engineering and provide basic preparation for college studies in STEM subjects as well as future STEM careers. The program is well suited for students interested in a STEM career, with a specific interest in neural engineering and neuroscience.
Due to COVID-19 health and safety concerns, the 2021 YSP-REACH program will be offered online only. The planned dates for the summer 2021 are August 2-6, 2021. The cost will be $100/student and scholarships to cover the costs for some students will be available.
The application process is competitive. While we consider a number of factors when choosing students for the program, we highly encourage student applicants from our partner schools: Cleveland, Franklin, and Chief Sealth High Schools within Seattle Public Schools.
- Be a high school student. (Graduating seniors can also apply.)
- Attend all required lectures, seminars, focus groups, tours, class sessions and workshops.
- Commit to full program participation. Participants will not receive academic credit.
- Frequently Asked Questions about the YSP program.
- In the online application, you will need to upload your high school transcript. You will also designate someone who will provide a reference. When you submit your application, an email will automatically be generated, inviting that person to complete an online reference form. We do not accept letters of reference sent by mail or email. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Questions? Please contact Dr. Eric Chudler, the CNT's Education Director .